We've seen poorly installed engineered wood so many times in our company existence in London. We are collegiate and never blame it on unprofessionalism. Sometimes it comes to DIY projects, sometimes as a result of poor subfloor preparation, incorrect engineered floor fitting, humidity in London can be an issue. Engineered wood can add so much unique style and comfort to your home and you want it installed the right way. There are several methods you can choose from, but better leave it on our experts to choose the proper methodology, depending on subfloor and environment, preparation needed and we will also provide information for upcoming maintenance.
The row of steps needed for perfect engineered floor fitting, according to our high-quality standards are:
- Acclimatisation – engineered wood material can change due to moisture and heat. This is the natural wood character and movement is an issue. Engineered wood planks can get damp during transportation and moisture level in-store. That is the reason flooring have to be left to acclimatise with the room temperature and humidity where the fitting is planned.
- Engineered floor fitting with adhesive – This method consists of glueing the planks directly onto subfloor, being concrete or plywood. Subfloor has to be perfectly smooth to prevent uneven installation results. When the subfloor isn't levelled or clean, adhesive can react and cause movement of the installed flooring. Also, if the moisture level of concrete is too high, we have to wait until it dries or apply underlayment moisture barrier. If you have a wooden floor base, we need to lay plywood layer before the installation.
- Important part of glue-down engineered wood fitting are the products used. We use the best adhesive products on the London’s market.
- We leave an expansion gap around the perimeter of the room, because of the risk of expanding with time after the fitting project due to some reasons.
- Engineered wood planks can be nailed down into existing plywood base. To avoid movement and cracking we ensure the condition of the plywood base. To avoid movement and sound, we can also apply an underlayment insulation barrier.
- The floating installation – sometimes the concrete can’t be levelled for some reason, or there are many pipes and cables running and in that case, the floating installation is recommended. The floating fitting is the system of glueing, nailing or clicking the lumber planks to each other, skipping placing them directly on the subfloor. This method gives great installation flexibility and proves that engineered wood can be installed everywhere if done by professional technicians.
- Engineered wood fitting is not only for flooring, as the name suggests. Many people in London want to replace their old wood stairs with engineered wood treads because they look elegant and are solid and long lasting. Stairs installation requires skill and patience and it's better to hire the professionals from Floor Fitting Experts.
Engineered floor fitting requires a high level of concentration and professional skills because every wooden plank should be sized and cut precise. It's not an easy task and you better call for professional floor fitting help on 020 88309783.